Friday, July 18, 2008

Simple joys...


I love candles. It probably stems back to my high school job at this place... but no, I think the obsession began before that. Now, I find myself frequenting this place ... but usually do most purchasing during their semi-annual sale, in an effort to be household budget friendly.


I usually always have a big jar candle burning on our kitchen bar when I'm home, and at least a votive burning in our master bath/bedroom area too, imparting sweet smells and pleasant atmosphere...


What are the little things around your home that give you great joy?

1 comment:

R said...

i love thinking about stuff like this! i'm a great appreciator of the little things...

where to start?

the smell of coffee percolating in our vintage percolator every morning

the way our living room is dimly lit by the same single lamp each morning before the sun rises while we're up getting ready before the girls wake up

walking back into our bathroom shortly after i've showered and smelling the soap and shave gel afresh

flopping down on the couch at the end of a long day to read a library book, and the lovely sound the crackle of the clear cover wrap makes when it's opened

drinking coffee from the ceraminc mug my husband threw and glazed for me himself

the "reading corner" we have set up in the living room for the girls which consists of a giant basket that's overflowing with children's books. it's placed in a corner of the room next to the patio so we can sit on the floor and look outside

my cardinal "couple" that live in our photinia bushes outside on the patio

turning on our porch light at the same time every day in the early evening--it's a silent ritual that marks the beginning of the wind-down phase of our day, and it also signifies Daddy coming home and us turning the light on to greet him!

oh gosh... i could go on and on! i totally would if i didn't have to get to bed for church in the morning. :0)