Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Domestic Diva Experiment: Oven Fried Okra


We've been tending our pastor's garden while he is on vacation and have been enjoying fresh cantaloupe, tomatoes, cucumbers and okra. Ah, okra! This southern girl loves a batch of fried okra! (and so does southern hubby and southern little E).

I tried a new oven fried okra recipe this week - similar taste to pan-fried, but with much less oil. YUM! (It supposedly freezes well, too...it will be great to pull okra out of the freezer during those sad limited-produce winter months!)

OVEN FRIED OKRA
from COOKS.COM

1 1/4 c. cornmeal

1 3/4 lg. fresh okra

Vegetable cooking spray

Buttermilk (I did not have this on hand and was running late making dinner. I rinsed the sliced in water and dredged in cornmeal - it was fine. I am sure buttermilk makes it even more tender)


Wash okra; drain. Cut off tip and stem ends. Cut okra into 1/2 inch slices. Soak in buttermilk. Dredge in cornmeal. Okra must be moist for cornmeal to coat well. Lightly coat a 15 x 10 x 1 inch jelly roll pan with cooking spray (use metal, not a glass pan for faster browning). Spread okra in a single layer in pan. Bake at 450 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally.

3 comments:

Chasing Pure Simplicity said...

I tried pan frying fresh okra one time and failed miserably! I'll have to add this to my collection of recipes!

Also, you might know this but I use milk with a shot of vinegar or lemon juice in place of buttermilk - I never have any on-hand!

Kimmy said...

YUM! I love okra like that... and that photo is beautiful... it's hard to take pictures of food! ~ kim

kristinleighkelly said...

Wow! That looks awesome. I LOVE okra (or as my neice said when she was little--oprah). I must try this one soon!

klk