Monday, July 21, 2008

My sweet Granny and my sweet girl...

We went to visit my 89-year-old Granny today. Granny lives in a senior care facility and is suffering from dementia....dementia that's been getting exponentially worse, especially in the past year. Today was the worst yet. She barely knew who we were, was physically ill with several ailments, and seemed to waver between "here and now" and "way back when". Sweet E and I went to the care facility with my amazing mom, who manages all Granny's meds and discusses her care with the workers there. E and I kept Granny company while Mom took care of business.

E is very proud of her singing skills and recently developed the confidence to sing "Jesus Loves Me", either alone or while singing with Mommy. After having several confusing conversations with Granny, I decided some singing might be a better idea than trying to have a meaningful conversation. So my sweet girl and I sang "Jesus Loves Me" over and over and over to my sweet Granny. To see my sweet girl singing her heart out and putting her hands over her heart belting "YES, JESUS LOVES ME!" and seeing my Granny smile and nod her head to the music just about did me in. Such a sweet and touching moment. The simple message of the song was able to reach through the fog and reach my Granny's heart. Granny knows Jesus as her savior, and I know she is SO ready to go home to Him, but I am thankful that my sweet girl's simple song and message were able to give her some joy while she is still on this earth.

"Even so, come quickly Lord Jesus..." Revelation 22:20

4 comments:

Kimmy said...

...that is the sweetest story... what a sweet little girl! Singing "Jesus loves me" can break down any communication barrier... too sweet. ~ kim

Marc & Amy said...

wow. that is beautiful, amy.

R said...

that's awesome! my grandmother is in a facility in wisconsin, and she suffers from dementia too, and it's always been a "dream" of mine to get my girls up there to sing hymns with her.

Jonna said...

Oh Amy....I can just imagine that moment in my head! What am amazing child you are raising! Kudos mama! Praying for peace for your Granny.