Thursday, May 15, 2008

Domestic Diva Experiment: Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps

I have been in such a cooking rut, especially with grocery prices the way they are...we've been eating b-o-r-i-n-g (but healthy!) fare. Inspired by a recent issue of Real Simple magazine, I tried the below recipe tonight for dinner - with excellent results! Yum! This one's a keeper!

Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps

2 Tbsp. canola oil (I used olive oil).

3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts- diced into 1 inch pieces (I used chicken pieces pulled from a whole chicken I’d cooked earlier in the week)

pepper

3 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce (I used 4 or more)

3 Tbsp. honey (I used 4 or more)

2 cloves garlic- minced (I used 3)

1 heaping Tbsp fresh ginger- minced (I used dried)

1 5 oz. can sliced water chessnuts- rinsed and drained

1/4 cup unsalted cashews (I bought salted on accident)

4-6 leaves of butter, bib or boston lettuce - rinsed and patted dry.



Directions:
Season cubed chicken with pepper.In a small bowl whisk together the soy sauce and honey. Set aside. In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil over high heat. Place chicken in skillet and sear all sides. Takes about 3 minutes…or less if you use pre-cooked chicken. Add garlic and ginger. Reduce heat to medium high and cook additional minute. Add about half of the soy mixture and water chesnuts. Simmer until chicken is cooked through. About 6-8 minutes.Add cashews and mix until combined. Spoon chicken mix onto rinsed butter lettuce leaves. Use remaining honey soy mixture to drizzle.

This would also be good with a dash of red pepper flakes, if you like heat!


Recipe from Real Simple magazine

2 comments:

Those Dandy Dillards said...

Sounds excellent! I have copied it into my recipes folder and will definitely try it. What did you use? I don't have a good fried rice recipe either!

R said...

Uh, YUM! Can't wait to try this one!