Monday, December 10, 2007

Traditions: Holiday Baking...

One "must have" Christmas baked item each year in my parents' home and now in our home is cranberry nut bread. This year, with supervision from sweet E, I baked a few loaves of my own. I've yet to sample them, but they smell heavenly! Here's the recipe I used this year:


CRANBERRY-NUT BREAD
Grease bottom of bread pan.


Mix and set aside:
2 c. cranberries, rinsed and cut into halves

3/4 c. chopped pecans

2 tsp. orange rind

Melt 2 tablespoons butter--set aside.

Sift together:
2 c. flour
1 c. plus 2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 3/4 tsp. baking powder
Set aside.

Combine:
1 egg, well beaten
1/3 c. orange juice
1/4 c. water
Stir in melted butter; add this to dry ingredients.

Stir only enough to moisten dry ingredients; add nuts, berries and rind.

Bake 350 degrees for 70 minutes.

Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan.

No comments: