Sunday, May 27, 2007

Special day...


Our church has a fun birthday tradition....


At the end of each month in the weekly "Sunday School opening" after announcements and offering and prayers, all of the adults and children with birthdays in that month get to go up to the front. Birthday honorees put money in a special offering plate and get a small gift - usually a special sticker or bookmark - and the congregation sings two special Christ-centered birthday songs.


Since my dad and E both have May birthdays, Grampa got to take E up front for the May Sunday School birthday celebration this year. He was SO proud, I thought he was going to burst. This is literally one of the first things my dad thought of when he realized his grandchild was going to have a May birthday....getting to share the church birthday celebration with that grandchild!


E and Grampa had a fun time on Sunday. E observed the whole thing very solemnly. Grampa gave her a penny to put in the collection....Grampa says he put in "a very old and tattered dollar bill...."
(A special note about the stained glass window in this photo...it's one of many in our church....but my parents donated this window in honor of my late grandfather....my mom's daddy. It's been in our church sanctuary since I was a little girl....I always remember it being 'our family window')

1 comment:

Kimmy said...

oh how I love this... you have to place this post in her baby album. What an incredible tradition... and I love grandpa's smile... he looks so proud. And also in front of the dedicated window... such a great story. ~ kim