Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Bag lady...

I tried something new today.

I took my own canvas bags to the grocery store. I'm not sure why I never did this before....although I will say that I DO use those little plastic bags for diaper trash (when I'm not cloth diapering) or to line the trash cans in the bathrooms....so those little bags always DO get reused. But I have a huge stock pile of them and won't need more for a while.

So I "got green" with the rest of the masses and took my own bags to the store. I had about eight bags in my stash, but since most canvas bags are so much bigger and sturdier than their thin, flimsy plastic counterparts, all of my groceries fit in about five of the bags - I had extras to spare! I did have the checker put my raw meat in a plastic bag...even though I can wash the others, I thought it might be best to contain any "meat juice".

Overall, a very positive experience, and something I'll do again. And it was much easier to carry groceries into the house, as well. Another plus!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff! We love our reusable grocery bags -- some are canvas, which my sister-in-law made for us, but my favorite is a South Sydney Rabbitohs bag from when we visited my sister-in-law in Australia (the Rabbitohs are a rugby team, not a breakfast cereal).