Friday, March 21, 2008

Domestic Diva Experiment: Homemade Granola


Hubby and I have been eating granola, yogurt and fresh fruit for breakfast....a great treat! I find great prices on these items at a local farmer's market type store that I've started frequenting. But I'm not headed to the store again until Wednesday, and we ran out of granola yesterday....so I tried a recipe I found at this website....I snitched a taste - pretty yummy!


Vanilla Scented Granola Courtesy of Bon Appetit Magazine/The Motherload/MomAdvice.com


Cooking spray

4 cups rolled oats

1 cup sliced almonds (I didn't have any - used chopped pecans)

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1/4 cup honey

2 tablespoons sugar

4 teaspoons vanilla extract


Move rack to middle of oven and preheat to 300 degrees. Lightly spray large baking sheet with nonstick spray. Mix next 5 ingredients in large bowl. Combine oil, honey and sugar in small saucepan; bring to simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour hot liquid over oat mixture; stir well. Using hands or a big spoon, toss mixture until thoroughly mixed. Spread granola on prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, stirring occasionaly, about 30 minutes (but check after 20). Transfer sheet to rack; cool granola completely. (Can be made two weeks ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.) Makes approximately 8 cups.


I can think of all kinds of ways to change this up...pumpkin pie spice, dried fruits, chocolate chips, different nuts....mmm, mmm!

1 comment:

R said...

YUM! I'm totally going to try this!