Thursday, March 20, 2008

Behind closed doors...

E and I have been enjoying several days at home with this week...no errands, nothing. It's been great to stay home in jammies/sweats/comfy clothes and catch up on some things around the house.

Inspired by Amy over at The Motherload (I heart her blog!) I've been doing a bit of spring cleaning. My new organizing "trick"? Using the backs of doors for storage. Now, I know this is not revolutionary, but I've been finding a few new ways to store and organize the mass of stuff that seems to accumulate in our tiny house.

The back of the laundry room door? It now features a row of hooks to store extra paper shopping bags that we so often reuse, as well as other little much-needed items. We love hooks in the laundry room so much that the front of that same door also features another row of hooks where we often hang damp items to dry.

The back of the hall closet door? It sports a new hook for all of our various tote bags that we use for the library and a million other reasons. Now, easy to get to, but out of sight.

The back of the bathroom door? Bathrobes of course. Need I say more? These have actually been there a long time...

We have a "hook in waiting" on the guest bedroom closet door (since the guest closet is full of items and has no room for clothes, we leave hangers on this hook so guests can hang items when they visit). Other "hooks in waiting" include inside the linen closet door and inside our closet door. I'm sure we'll find a use for them soon!

Another prime storage space I've not yet used is behind my home office door. I've heard all kinds of creative uses for space like this, including using a behind-the-door shoe organizer with pockets to store office supplies, wrapping paper, etc etc. I haven't decided what to do with this space yet....but I'm sure it'll come to me!

Now, what can I work on next? These little projects do tend to become an obsession...

1 comment:

Kimmy said...

I'm in need of major organization... so I need to read more of this... thanks for the ideas! ~ kim