Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Domestic Diva Experiment: homemade stromboli





Merciful goodness....hold on to your hats! This recipe is not only to die for (insert swoon here), it is SO EASY! (But shhhhh....don't tell your family....make them think you slaved all day!) We all adored this, I will be be making again often! Thanks to my dear friend Amy S. for this recipe. There are so many ways you could vary this, but here's a starter recipe:

2 loaves of frozen loaves bread dough (Amy S. and I both like Rhodes)
1/4 lb thinly sliced mozzarella (or shredded or whatever you have on hand)
1/4 lb. thinly sliced provolone
1/4 lb. thinly sliced turkey
1/4 lb. thinly sliced ham
1/4 lb. thinly sliced salami

(ASC note: I used turkey and pepperoni for the version you see pictured, along with shreeded mozzarella and shredded parm. Anything would work, though...)

Defrost bread dough. (I left mine out on the counter on a cookie sheet all day.) Spread/Roll out each piece on greased cookie sheet. Brush with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic salt and oregano. Layer cheeses and meat (any order) on both loaves. Start on the short side and roll, tucking sides after each turn. Place seam side down on cookie sheet. (I bake 2 loaves on the same cookie sheet making sure there's enough room in between loaves.) Brush loaves with olive oil and sprinkle with basil/oregano.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes uncovered and an additional 10-15 minutes covered with foil.
Top with warm marinara sauce. (And try not to drool...)

Is anyone else laughing at the last photo....the one of my daughter pointing to her plate? For the record, she was saying "Mommy, take a photo of my food, too!" Those of you who know me know that I have a slight obsession with my camera - I may take photos a bit too much around here. And yes, I often take photos of food. I'm weird like that...

No comments: