Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Domestic Diva Experiment: homemade pumpkin puree






Since the season for pumpkins is now behind us, I took three of the pie pumpkins that had been decorating our home and experimented with making my own pumpkin puree. E's preschool teacher had mentioned that she does this, and it inspired me to give it a try. I cooked the pumpkins (halved with seeds scooped out) in the microwave. After each was cool, I pureed the insides in my food processor with a few tablespoons of water. I also roasted the pumpkin seeds for a tasty snack. The end result was three big baggies of pumpkin puree - perfect for making muffins, pies and other tasty treats. This process wasn't quite as messy or involved as I had expected (although it IS still easier to crack open a can of pumpkin from the store!) But since we had them on hand, I figured 'waste not, want not'....and gave it a try!

1 comment:

Kimmy said...

You ARE the domestic diva!