Tuesday, September 29, 2009

"Blueberry something" and I love you...

We have developed quite the routine for E at bedtime - something that I've found seems to be the case with many toddlers and their families. Our routine consists of many "normal" things: brush teeth, jammies on, pick out storybooks, stories with Mommy and Daddy, prayers and bedtime hugs and kisses. I am usually the one to actually tuck E into the bed, and we've also developed a weird little series of kisses, hugs and nose-rubs (Eskimo kisses?) that she insists on at bedtime, too.

One night at bedtime, after aforementioned kisses and hugs, as I was leaving the room, E said "Mommy, wait....I need to tell you a secret!" She did some non-word whispering in my ear, I whispered to her that I loved her and I left the room.

But, you guessed it, this because part of our routine, too. "Mommy, let me tell you a secret!" After many weeks of non-word, non-sense whispering in my ear, E started whispering "Mommy, blueberry something....and I love you..." I asked her what 'blueberry something' means and she told me it is her secret special way of telling me she loves me so much. Augh! My heart melts! I know the day will come when "blueberry something" is long gone....but I will never forget it!

No comments: