Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A place of my own...


Since I've been spending a ton of time in my home office this week working on freelance projects, it's made me think a lot about how I treasure this tiny little room.

I remember when we were house hunting....our dreams were large and our budget was tiny. But I knew that I wanted a space for a home office...because eventually I wanted to be a stay-at-home-mom with a freelance PR business. (And thanks to God's goodness and grace, my dreams came true!)

In the end, we had to make a trade off...the tiny little house we live in has a wonderful space for a home office...with built in cabinets and built in bookshelves...the trade off? Our home has no formal dining room. At the time, our realtor was concerned that might effect our resale value someday, but I ask you now....which would YOU rather have? Home offices and telecommuting have become so common...in some larger homes, each spouse sometimes has their own office space, and there's a homework space for the kids (yeah, someday, right?) But for now, this tiny space is mostly my own. Hubby does check his email here and keeps a few of his files in the tiny little corner that I allow him. But mostly, this is my space....to work, to pitch business, to work on craft projects, to goof around on the internet. AND there's a baby gate in the doorway....no pets, no babies allowed. I love this little room -- it allows me to fulfill many dreams...and I can hide the clutter by just shutting the door! :-)

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I saw you had left some comments on my blog (Bon Bons and Boo Boos)so I thought I would come check your blog out. I love it, count me in as a new, faithful reader!

You are right in your post about a home office being more important than a formal dining room. We never use our's and I would love to have a special space all to myself. Hopefully, we will see you at storytime on Friday....

Anonymous said...

Looks like the perfect "get-away"! We use our formal dining room once a year. It's a sad waste of good square footage!

R said...

Our home office was eliminated (OK, repurposed!) when we started having kids. I miss it terribly...I miss working behind a desk, period!

Your office is lovely!