Sunday, December 12, 2010

A tree of her own...


E's always had a little tree with "her" ornaments on it each year at Christmastime. A dear friend gave me a felt nativity ornaments set when I was pregnant with E, and I've decorated a little tree with colored lights and these ornaments since E was a baby (I think the tiny tree was from either my dorm room or hubby's apartment back in the day - hey, way to reuse and recycle!)

Never did I dream that kids having their own little tree was such a big deal. Have you been to the craft stores and other retailers lately? You'll find every kind of "little tree of my own" merchandise you can imagine....sports themes, princess themes, popular characters and the like! Some of E's friends at school have trees in pink or blue, and some trees even sport feathers, glitter and more!

While I'm certainly not going to go out of my way to spend a ton of money on this idea, it is fun for us to let E have her own tree to decorate and enjoy. This year, hers is in her bedroom, and she enjoys having it on during the day while she plays, has quiet time or even naps. In addition to the felt nativity ornaments, we've added a few other character ornaments (thanks Gramma!) and some small glittery ball ornaments from the dollar store.

Even though the idea of "a little tree of my own" seems to be becoming the norm, I'm still going to do it on the cheap. Here's to being frugal!

1 comment:

Kim said...

It is so easy to let those things get out of hand. My girls have a pink tree in their room. I got it 75% off after Christmas a few years ago. I have a Christmas countdown calander with little boxes. I put their ornaments in the boxes and they slowly get to decorate their tree all month. They love the discovery every night.