Thursday, February 25, 2010

Domestc Diva: Cream of Broccoli Soup


Our local supermarket often has huge bags of broccoli for 99 cents. This broccoli is supposedly "past its prime"...but we've enjoyed it steamed and have not noticed anything "off" about it at all. And our family eats a lot of broccoli - a favorite around here, for certain. In fact, each week when I go to the store, E reminds me to get broccoli and bananas. Too cute!

Last week, I scored another 99 cent bag of the good ol' green stuff. This was a little more limp than the usual fare, so I opted to make a new favorite - cream of broccoli soup. This is one of those "make it up as you go along recipes". I've made it with or without cheese and this time opted to add some shredded chicken from a whole chicken I'd recently cooked in my slow cooker. Topped with homemade croutons? A yummy, very filling dinner!

Here's a "rough" recipe...

Cream of Broccoli Soup
Boil broccoli in chicken broth in large soup pot or dutch oven
(I used chicken broth made from the bones and scraps of a whole chicken I'd cooked in my slow cooker).
Add seasonings to taste: salt, pepper and/or seasoned salt, garlic, etc.
Blend cooked broccoli and broth with an immersion blender until smooth.
About 30 minutes before serving, add one can of evaporated milk (could also use cream, half and half, sour cream....whatever you have on hand!) and shredded chicken. Heat through, stirring well.
Top with croutons and shredded cheese.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Stacey R said...

You're making my mouth water! That looks so good!